The objective and purpose of the Legislative Endowment Scholarship Act is to encourage New Mexico students with financial need to obtain a baccalaureate degree at a public post-secondary educational institution in New Mexico.
What are the eligibility requirements?
First Year Eligibility A scholarship may be awarded to a New Mexico resident who:
- Is a United States citizen or a permanent resident alien and resident (for tuition purposes) of New Mexico;
- Has met the admission requirements and is accepted for enrollment as a student at an eligible institution;
- Has not earned a baccalaureate degree and is enrolled or will be enrolled , at the time the scholarship is awarded, at least half-time in a public post-secondary education institution in New Mexico. A student shall not be considered an undergraduate student beyond the time when he/she has completed enough credit hours to equal four academic years of study;
- Has demonstrated financial need;
- Has complied with all the rules and regulations adopted by the commission for award of the scholarship and the provisions regarding the administration of scholarships adopted pursuant to the legislative endowment scholarship.
Continuing Eligibility A legislative endowment scholarship award may be re-awarded to a student who:
- Maintains satisfactory academic progress as defined in these rules and regulations;
- Remains enrolled for at least half-time status for consecutive academic years.
Preference in awarding the Legislative Endowment Scholarships shall be:
- In all cases, awarded to renewing students who have met the continuing eligibility requirements;
- At an eligible four-year institution, awarded to returning students or students transferring from a New Mexico two-year institution;
- At an eligible two-year institution, awarded to returning students.
Amount of Scholarship
- Eligible two-year institutions may make awards to eligible students in an amount up to one-thousand ($1,000) dollars per academic year
How do I apply?
Contact the Financial Aid Office at the college or university to inquire about the application process.