An Exemption may be claimed if a private postsecondary institution has reviewed rule 5.100.2 NMAC or 5.100.3 NMAC as applicable and believes the institution qualifies for at least one exemption criterion from licensure requirements.
- As of June 1, 2013, regional accreditation is no longer a qualifying factor for exemption status.
- Public out-of-state institutions do not qualify for this exemption, as they are not subject to these rules and related statutes.
- The Department will notify the institution once a determination on the institution's exemption status has been made.
- Institutions that receive an exemption are required to submit annual reports informing the Department of new course offerings or program changes.
- Failure to submit an annual report will result in a revocation of exemption status..
Annual update reports are due July 17, 2013.
A. 05.100.3 NMAC Rule (pdf)
State rule pertaining to Private Out-Of-State Institutions without a "presence" in New Mexico.
B. 05.100.2 NMAC Rule (pdf)
State rule pertaining to the Private Postsecondary Institutions with a "presence" in New Mexico.
C. FY2014 Claim for Exemption & Annual Update Report
This form may be used for an initial claim for exemption or an annual update report of an institution with an existing exemption status. It pertains to both out-of-state and in-state institutions.