High School Equivalency (HSE)

There are many reasons why an adult may not have completed high school. We respect the different life paths that have led you to us. Here, find all the information to help yourself or a loved attain High School Equivalency (HSE).


What is High School Equivalency?

A high school equivalency or HSE is a recognized alternative to a high school diploma. There are two exams used in New Mexico to determine high school equivalency:

  • The General Educational Development (GED®) test

  • The High School Equivalency Test (HiSET)

What is the difference between High School Equivalency and a high school diploma?

A true high school diploma is what you earn when you complete traditional high school (whether public, private, or homeschooled) by completing four years of coursework, typically as a teenager.

A high school equivalency diploma, on the other hand, can be earned by adult sor other non-traditional students without completing four years of high school. A high school equivalency diploma can be used in the same way as a high school diploma to apply to college or to put on a resume for a job that requires a high school education. 

High School Equivalency preparation options in New Mexico

There are 24 Adult Education programs all around New Mexico just waiting to help you prepare for a high school equivilancy test - and go beyond it.  Adult Education programs can also help you with career exploration and advancement, getting into college or job training programs, master the English language, and/or help you support your children's learning and education more effectively.  These free services are designed to meet each individual's personal education and career goals, so why not explore this option today?

Contact the High School Equivalency Administrator

If you need any information about High School Equivalency that you cannot find on our webpages, please contact Dyanne Salazar, High School Equivalency Administrator at dyanne.salazar@state.nm.us or (505) 269-3074.